What Gray Paint Color Is Best? Here are my favorites...

Are you having trouble deciding what gray paint color to choose for your home?

I'm here to help.

I'm in the process of selecting paint colors for a new home now and I started to think about all the beautiful gray colors I've used on projects in recent years. I thought it might be helpful to share some of my favorites in case you were staring at that paint deck right now :-), trying to pick a color.

I've got some images showing how the colors were used in some of the rooms I've worked on.

Take a look below and see if there is a gray that looks good to you.

Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray

In this kitchen makeover, below, we used SW Mindful Gray on the cabinets. It's a nice neutral gray that doesn't go too cool and has a fairly light look.

I also used SW Mindful Gray on the cabinets on this fireplace wall. Sherwin Williams Repose Gray was used on the adjacent walls.

Sherwin Williams Dovetail

This dining room was from the same house as the kitchen above, we did the walls above the wainscot in Sherwin Williams Dovetail. It's a great med/dark warm gray color.

Sherwin Williams Roycroft Pewter

This gray, below, is Sherwin Williams Roycroft Pewter and provides a dark, rich envelope of color in this masculine study.

Sherwin Williams Conservative Gray

Not to be confused with any political affiliations, I do like this very neutral light gray. It's kind of a "nothing" color. It doesn't really read as a gray, just a light neutral.

I chose it for my guest room upstairs because I had neutral warm colors in the carpet and bed fabrics that I wanted to balance out with a cooler tone. It has some green undertones to it, but you really can't see that at all in this room.

If you ever want to mix beige and gray, (and that is HARD, mind you) then this is a good gray to try.

Benjamin Moore Brewster Gray

This bedroom, below, was painted Benjamin Moore Brewster Gray, for more of a blue color tone. It makes for a calming bedroom color.

What gray paint color is best? Here are my favorites.....This bedroom was painted Benjamin Moore Brewster Gray | Carla Aston, Designer, Tori Aston, Photographer | #brewstergray #paintcolors

Sherwin Williams Repose Gray

I often use Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, even though it can look more blue in some light and then warmer at other times. It can be a nice soft, light gray though and I often use it when I need a cool-toned light neutral.

I used it on the wardrobe closets and trim in this master bedroom.

As with all paint colors, it is good to try them out in your own space first. Lighting, location, and adjacent colors and materials all have a tremendous impact on how a color looks applied on the surface you intend.

Need more help and some general guidelines to help you make your own paint selections?

Try my affordably priced $15 guide.

Pin this post to Pinterest to save for later reference!

Favorite gray paint colors